Renew expired NIE, How to do it?
According to data from a study carried out by the UGT since 2019, 22.6% of the more than 6,744,456 inhabitants of the Community of Madrid have their origin in a migratory movement. In that line, all these people must be identified through the public administrations by means of their NIE (Foreigner Identity Number). This number has an expiry date, which is why, from Atemporal Madrid, we have prepared a complete article for you to find out how to renew it step by step.
Being a foreigner and living in Spain, it is essential to have a NIE number and to be able to renew it, as this will allow you to work and pay contributions in the country as a legal resident.
Let's go through it point by point:
1.- What are the requirements needed to renew the NIE?
The first thing to bear in mind is that this procedure must be carried out a maximum of 60 days before the NIE number expires.
- You must have reached the age of majority or provide the identity documents of your legal guardians.
- Have all the documents required for this procedure.
- Have an expired NIE or valid justification to apply for renewal.
- Request an appointment online.
2.- Documentation required to renew the NIE:
- Completed document EX15
- Passport or DNI original and copy. If the document you wish to present has expired, you must present a copy of the renewal application.
- A passport photograph with a white background.
- The Social Security or affiliation number.
- Proof of payment of the fee790 code 012.
- Official document accrediting and justifying the renewal of the NIE.
How to make an appointment to renew the NIE?
- Go to the Sede Electrónica de Administraciones Públicas.
- In the middle of the page, look for the section "Procedures''.
- Once you have entered this section, select the option "Extranjería''.
- Then, select "Cita Previa de Extranjería''.
- When the page opens, click on "Access the procedure''.
- You must select your province.
- Several options will be displayed and you should click on "Certificados E.U.'' and accept.
- Check the list of documents and accept.
- Select Passport and enter your document number.
- Then click on "Request appointment''.
- Check the details of the assigned office, as well as the time and date.
- Confirm your appointment and print the voucher.
Steps to renew your NIE online
- The first step is to access the Public Administration Electronic Office.
- In the middle of the page look for the section "Procedures''.
- Click on "Extranjería''.
- Then, look for the section "MERCURIO- Solicitud de solicitudes de autorizaciones de Extranjería y Aportación de documentación - Presentación Telemática'' (MERCURIO- Solicitud de solicitudes de autorizaciones de Extranjería y Aportación de documentación - Presentación Telemática)''.
- Click on "Access to Telematic Applications for Alien Authorisations''.
- Look inside the warning window and select "Acceder''.
- You must complete the form with your digital certificate.
- Download the form and print it, as it will serve as proof.
Cost of the fees for renewing the NIE
If it is for temporary residence the fee is 15, 76€.
If it is for long term or permanent residence it is 21,02€.